• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dargre

dargre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:04 AM

I don't have much idea left so I could add for my Nuevoplayer, but this plugin is something that several webmasters already asked for and I hope you like it.

This is nice feature that you can also find on very few other video services and recently on some youtube videos.
Our mod is not better for it, not worse. Is exactly same.

PROGRESSBAR THUMBS MOD

Displaying sequential thumbs when mouse over progressbar is not so obvious and simple as someone may think.
Main problem are thumbs. Player itself cannot generate it on the fly. Thumbs must be generated by the script and stored on server, public accessible.
Whetever...
for AVS script I prepared scripts that can generate such thumbs while upload/conversion proccess, or separately for single video in siteadmin.
Such thumbs are stored later in subfolder of current video thumbs directory.
You decide about time frequency for such thumbs. default value is 5 seconds between each thumb (in demo exmaple this is 3 seconds)

Some tech info:
- Thumb size is 100x75 pixels.
- Generating thumbs for every 5 seconds and 10 minutes long video took about 23 seconds
- Total size of almost 120 thumbs was 180K. Really this is not much.

Ok, time for DEMO.
Start to play video and move your mouse over progressbar.

http://goo.gl/xG7Hv

Plugin is only for Nuevoplayer versions 6x
You can't order the mod yet.
I'm too tired today, so I could respond.
But after some good sleep I should activate order options.

Any feedbacks much appreciated :)

Edited by dargre, 09 July 2012 - 10:15 AM.

VIDEO.JS - best HTML5 player in the world for AVS script

NUEVOPLAYER 8 - best flash+html5 player for video scripts
Mods, custom code by NuevoLab (Search Suggest, Multiple image upload, Seo mods,and much more)

#2 Kernel

Kernel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:16 PM

GREAT!!!
I'm looking for this module for a lot of time,

Just one thing, I'm using chrome and I looked at the demo, the thumbnail loaded only after the video bar is loaded,

meaning, if you try to look the thumbnail at specific time that has not being loaded yet, the thumbnail will be blank.

One more thing that is probably required, a script to generate thumbnails for the existing videos.

I will be the first to buy this.
Avi.

#3 dargre

dargre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:08 PM

I don't see a problem under Chrome. Thumbs are available over full length progressbar, just after video starts.
From programming point of view all thumbs are preloaded and ready to show just after player receives information about video length, and this always occurs immediately once video initiated. So it's completely independednt of video load status.

Having small thumbs for video was something that as far stopped me from writing such plugin. Not many webmasters could have idea and programming skills to do it.

But finally I decided to make public my own idea, and I wrote about it for scripts like AVS or Clipshare.

Plugin for those 2 scripts is delivered with ready idea, ready php functions to generate and store thumbs automatically (while upload proccess) or manually (if video added in other than standard upload way).
Delivered new Nuevoplayer php files automatically detect if small thumbs are available on server, sort them ascending by nuumber and create XML later read by Nuevoplayer.
I would prefer first installation to do myself, so in case of small bug found I could fix it on the fly. For example small bug I made initially for thumbs generator was thumb's size. It cannot be 100x75. Width/height must be values divisible by 2 for ffmpeg, eg. 100x76.
That's why I'm ready to offer installtion service free for first order. Once all verified for working, installation tutorial should be fine 110%.

Personally I'm also going to add such nice feature for my own video website. Small thumbs are not big, small cost of storage space or bandwidth used, so why not to show such nice feature :)

Edited by dargre, 13 June 2012 - 07:23 PM.

Mods, custom code by NuevoLab (Search Suggest, Multiple image upload, Seo mods,and much more)

#4 Kernel

Kernel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:10 PM

Hi,

I looked over it again, and it's fine (I was with 3G connection before).

All the thumbs are being downloaded? that's allot of bandwidth.

I want to buy this plugin with installation for 2 websites, where can i send you the deatils and payment?

#5 dargre

dargre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:10 PM

All the thumbs are being downloaded? that's allot of bandwidth.

Really?
I just generated thumbs for one of my live videos on my website.
Video is 5 minutes long, 30 MB filesize.
Thumbs took 340 kB.

So it's easy to calculate that thumbs are little bit more than 1% of video size.
You say it's a lot? I don't think so. It's a lot of files, but not bandwidth.
Whatever - there is no other way to have thumbs inside flash software. Pics must be delivered from server. Youtube does same, and few others as well.

Of course overall thumbs size also depends of thumbs frequency.
Default for my plugin is 5 seconds, on my own website I use even less - 3 seconds. Higher frequency number - less thumbs, but also less accurate slides, that's obvious.
Whatever, thumbs are loading fast as 200-500 kB is not much to load.
And if someone use server like lighttpd or nginx it's pretty light.

You need to be patient before I will make the plugin available to purchase.
I just realized little bit faster method to switch between thumbs and need to update my flash actionscript then test.

EDIT 1
After tweaking plugin's flash actionscript little bit against black thumbs load delay, now I'm really satisfied of final result and after testing rest of php files and functions I made the plugin available public for order (scripts AVS and Clipshare).
It's full package including main swf plugin, php files to generate and read thumbs XML for Nuevoplayer automatically, php functions to generate player thumbs in 2 possible ways: automatic and manual from siteadmin.

I already use the plugin on my public established website, thumbs can be seen for latest 30 videos about.

EDIT 2
The Plugin was developed completely from new.
Now it's using only 1 htttp request to minimize server resources and is super fast with graphics loading,
demo link is same, more info in new post: http://goo.gl/UdlgG

Edited by dargre, 09 July 2012 - 10:17 AM.

#6 dargre

dargre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:01 AM

I just did next update to Progressbar thumbs Plugin.
It's more cosmetic than code change.

Thumbs are now appearing with fade transition, and they do not dissapear whn mouse over thumb. Previously they could display only when mouse over progressbar. Additionally it' possible to click on slide and jump to movie position.

Of course as it was mentioned in other post thumbs plugin engine was completely rewritten from first version. This is only 1 HTTP request, 1 JPG file to load. All thumbs, even if this is 1000 slides - are ready to display almost immediately when video started.

This is huge difference from similar JWPlayer plugin, which loads each thumb one by one (this is hundreds of thumb pictures to load hundreds of HTTP requests). This can slow down server a lot, not to mention that such number of HTTP requests is very bad signal for SERPS.
So I'm really proud I could build such plugin in completely different way and minimize bandwith/CPU usage to absolute minimum, using only 1 http request.

#7 sam

sam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:53 AM

nice work dargre