5 replies to this topic

#1 desihoes

desihoes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:39 AM

Hello Fellow Webmasters

Has anyone tried any other Control Panel instead of cPanel? Mainly free ones.

I tried few for testing and setteled of VestaCP for my other sites.

Anyone has any experience with it? How does it handle AVS as it has both Apache and Nginx.

Thanks

#2 theone

theone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:17 PM

Most of the free control panels I've tried are not as robust as cPanel. Though, I prefer to go raw-dog without a CP. cPanel is good if your not very familiar with Linux or have clients on the same server.

But, cPanel takes up a lot of space and is expensive to license.

I had a problem with a clients site recently that was running NGINX as a reverse proxy for Apache. cPanel updates kept applying a IPv6 patch to the httpd.conf file and kept messing up the reverse proxy.

Had to disable cPanel updates because it would continuously write over the apache conf file.

Control panels can make certain operations easier but I prefer to administer the system from the command line. It's cheap and it allows you to understand exactly the way things operate under the hood.

Edited by theone, 08 May 2014 - 05:17 PM.

#3 desihoes

desihoes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:41 AM

Thanks, theone

Be prepared to be pestered  :D  by me next month when I try to configure my site without CP. I have only one site on this dedicated server and can do without CP. Have to learn some new stuff. I am using Apache streaming and no nginx or lighty. I will start the migration next month.

Thanks.

#4 theone

theone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:20 AM

I’d recommend dropping Apache and switching to a LEMP stack (linux,nginx,mysql,php-fpm).

NGINX is very lightweight and has some powerful features that Apache lacks and is geared towards high traffic sites.

I've set up several AVS sites with LEMP on an SSD and they're blazing fast. No, Apache, no control panel, no useless files taking up valuable space or automated cPanel scripts overwriting your configurations.

#5 desihoes

desihoes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:03 AM

Oh Boy... I should have seen this post sooner. I had completely figured out Apache and only thing was left how to do Apache streaming..

How does it work in nginx, mean how do we skip on timeline without having to download the whole video..

Thanks

#6 desihoes

desihoes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:26 AM

Finally figured out how to setup nginx for AVS. Only working on a temp vps. Will move to dedicated server in next few months...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cpanel, vestacp, hosting, server, centos