• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 myavsforums

myavsforums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:33 PM

Is AVS script more CPU intensive or more Ram intensive?

The reason I am asking is CPUs have up to certain Ram handling capacity.

Also, trying to choose a cloud package from Amazon AWS or Google Cloud, we need to choose from a list of CPU intensive or Ram intensive.

Thanks for your professional oppinion previousely

#2 theone

theone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:26 AM

It really depends on your site, the amount of users streaming videos, amount of videos being converted, if there are other sites being run on the same server, the web server software and how it's configured, etc.

I see many people max out their servers with 64GB+ of RAM yet they fail to implement proper configurations on the software side first and foremost. In most cases even 16 GB is way more than is really needed and additional memory is simply just a waste of money in those cases.

The conversion process is the most resource intensive and converting too many videos simultaneously can slow down any server regardless of hardware specs. In this case, developing a conversion que could save you from having to invest money in additional hardware.

Usually CPU is a better investment because memory can easily be added later as needed.

But without knowing how much traffic your site gets and what software your running and how it's configured it's hard to say what you will need. I'd recommend starting with as little as possible and adding more as needed.

I manage AVS servers that get 100k's uniques daily which run on only 8GB of RAM but they are all very well optimized on the software side. But, the same server specs without proper configuration could struggle to keep up with even just 1k users.

Edited by theone, 22 January 2016 - 11:26 AM.

#3 Negative1

Negative1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 08:24 PM

Any chance you could let us know some good basic configurations that would help the server? It would be greatly appreciated. 

Such as: php.ini configurations, httdp configurations, my.cnf, etc.

#4 theone

theone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 05:22 PM

There really is no universal configuration. Appropriate configurations will vary on a case-by-case basis depending on number of sites on the server, software being run, amount of traffic, etc.

If you are not sure then the best thing is to hire someone who has experience configuring and tuning servers running AVS.

To get the most bang for the buck I run AVS sites on a minimal CentOS installation running a LEMP stack (Linux, NGINX, MySQL, PHP-FPM) without a control panel. I don't even bother to install Apache. Control panels like cPanel are just over-kill and they rely on Apache and often consume excessive resources running processes that have little to no benefit. They install so much crap that you just don't need.

However, managing a server without a CP requires advanced knowledge of Linux, Networking, DNS, Exim, CSF, etc. and everything must be controlled through the command line. But, the advantage is that the server can be fine-tuned to make sure that all resources are available to your site and are not being wasted on useless processes and cronjobs.

I see many people running cPanel and 20+ other sites all using different software (ie. Wordpress, Joomla, etc.) and expecting everything to run optimally on a single configuration and that's simply just not the case as each site will interact with the server and database differently. If you want to serve the most amount of users from a single machine then I recommend only running a single site on the server and only installing the minimum requirements and tuning the whole server around that one specific site. If this is done properly then you will be able to serve an tremendous number of clients from a single box.

But, as far as there being universal configurations or recommendations it's really just not that simple as you would want to run some detailed diagnostics to determine what the best configurations would be for your particular server.

#5 theone

theone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 04:24 AM

One important thing I forgot to mention, which is often overlooked, is that I've typically found that one of the biggest bottle necks I usually encounter with video streaming sites is not related to CPU or RAM but rather I/O related.

I recommend acknowledging the benefits of using fast disks like SSD drives as this will greatly improve the performance of your server, particularly when it comes to video conversion. But, if you intend to use standard drives then I highly recommend putting them in RAID 10 which offers both performance and redundancy.

#6 myavsforums

myavsforums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:21 PM

lighter programs that loads faster like nginx vs apache or radis vs mysql

flash storage vs ssd, fiber optics vs ...

list goes on and on

#7 buves18

buves18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 06:53 PM

what is the best apache or nginx ? :)