• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sctv

sctv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:59 PM

My site does not send emails anymore. What could be wrong?

SMTP-Server

smtp.office365.com

TLS

#2 theone

theone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 03:57 PM

This could be many different things.

Could be a firewall blocking a port, stmp services not running, invalid PTR records, invalid ipv6 records, blacklisted domain, etc. etc.

What mail server software are you running?

What are the results of this test?

http://mxtoolbox.com/diagnostic.aspx

#3 sctv

sctv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:16 AM

Thanks for the answer. Ips are all in order. Can I check if the script is responsive to the SMTP server?

Edited by sctv, 09 March 2016 - 09:59 AM.

#4 theone

theone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:53 PM

You should correct the warning "Reverse DNS does not match SMTP banner" and verify that you have an SPF record in your zone. This helps prevent emails as being marked as spam.

What email server are you using?

Check your email logs for errors.

#5 dargre

dargre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:52 PM

There are many email marketing companies offering even 10.000 transactional emails monthly free.

This is not good idea to send many emails from own server. You will not configure email service enough good on own server, not even close to what professional email marketing some service is, service that sends big millions of mails every day and big percent of it is delivered.

You only need to configure some DNS records on server and configure SMTP settings in AVS script.

• Damien likes this

VIDEO.JS - best HTML5 player in the world for AVS script

NUEVOPLAYER 8 - best flash+html5 player for video scripts
Mods, custom code by NuevoLab (Search Suggest, Multiple image upload, Seo mods,and much more)

#6 Damien

Damien

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:25 AM

There are many email marketing companies offering even 10.000 transactional emails monthly free.

This is not good idea to send many emails from own server. You will not configure email service enough good on own server, not even close to what professional email marketing some service is, service that sends big millions of mails every day and big percent of it is delivered.

You only need to configure some DNS records on server and configure SMTP settings in AVS script.

Postfix, dovecot, spamassassin, postgrey, clamav, tls, roundcube :D

Free service is good, but sometimes it can be better not to rely on 3rd party support especially something as important as your users emails and their privacy (you should tell them you share their email with 3rd party providers in that case). Security of own mailserver is another matter, and so is configuring it properly to handle sending bulk email/not be blacklisted  :)

Each to their own but I think if you have a big enough website you should handle it all yourself.

Edited by Damien, 09 March 2016 - 05:30 AM.

#7 dargre

dargre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 06:51 AM

Let's not go crazy. 

Big millions use Gmail, Yahoo, Amazon services and many email marketing companies to send and receive emails.

From other hand, 99,9% of webmasters here have no idea about postfix, dovecot, spamassassin, postgrey, clamav, tls, roundcube.

Also myself I have no time to learn it all. Just waste of time and Iprefer to do other things.

I used Mailchimp, Mailgun for over 4 years, never had any security or privacy issue.

If you know it really well, why not offer server email setup service?

Damien, you sound like this  "best car is one that you construct yourself, or you should tell your passengers that they risk with 3rd party product." :) 

....Don't use cloudflare, don't use CDN, don't use mobile, don't use internet!  Everywhere your privacy is threatened!

Unfortunately one man cannot do everything himself, cannot know everything, cannot protect against everything.

Edited by dargre, 09 March 2016 - 07:36 AM.

VIDEO.JS - best HTML5 player in the world for AVS script

NUEVOPLAYER 8 - best flash+html5 player for video scripts
Mods, custom code by NuevoLab (Search Suggest, Multiple image upload, Seo mods,and much more)

#8 sctv

sctv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:01 AM

Thanks for your reply. the mails are now running on microsoft. I can send and receive over microsoft. no problem. in the avs scrip I have the SMTP server entered. Unfortunately, nothing is sent. I have unfortunately been tested with google anything. As if the script passes nothing to the SMTP.

#9 sctv

sctv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 10:05 AM

Error message I get:

PHP Strict Standards:  Declaration of VMail::set() should be compatible with PHPMailer::set($name, $value = '') in /var/www/vhosts/xxx/httpdocs/classes/email.class.php on line 9, referer: http://xxx/signup

#10 sctv

sctv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:18 AM

what does that mean?

#11 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:32 PM

That's not what's causing the emails not to be sent.

Danny B.
Founder
ClipShare | MediaShare | AVS | CamChat

#12 sctv

sctv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 10:18 AM

What could I check?

#13 Damien

Damien

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 09:10 AM

What could I check?

I had an error running smtp through mailgun.org

PHP message: PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Class 'SMTP' not found in /html/include/phpmailer/class.phpmailer.php:1443

So I changed /classes/email.class.php

if ( !class_exists('PHPMailer') ) {
    require $config['BASE_DIR']. '/include/phpmailer/class.phpmailer.php';
}

to

if ( !class_exists('PHPMailer') ) {
    require $config['BASE_DIR']. '/include/phpmailer/PHPMailerAutoload.php';
}

Mail started sending again. This was alluded to by PHPmailer dev on github.

https://github.com/P...omment-26033577

Edited by Damien, 28 April 2016 - 09:12 AM.