• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brianatthebeach

brianatthebeach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:06 AM

I am converting videos for mobile only.  Is there any reason to use mencoder versus ffmeg?  mencoder seems to fail a lot.  Is defaulting to ffmeg any better?  The way I'm testing this is to simply put a bad path to mencoder in the avs conversion settings to force ffmpeg to do the conversions.  Any opinions on this?

thanks,

brian

#2 dargre

dargre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:15 PM

AVS script doesn't offer ffmpeg conversion commands.

The one availabe is only for iphone SD video conversion, it is very basic, used as spare command when mencoder fails.

There is no ffmpeg commands for HD conversion.

Mencoder conversion produce little bit higher quality video, relatively small filesize. But difference is really small.

FFmpeg is usually more stable, faster, don't need mplayer to extract sound, don't need nero encoders to convert sound or MP4Box to mux audio and video.

Disabling mencoder by setting false path is pretty stupid thing. This is not solution.

VIDEO.JS - best HTML5 player in the world for AVS script

NUEVOPLAYER 8 - best flash+html5 player for video scripts
Mods, custom code by NuevoLab (Search Suggest, Multiple image upload, Seo mods,and much more)

#3 brianatthebeach

brianatthebeach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 12:19 AM

I'm wondering why dargre didn't tell me about his conversion and watermark mod.

#4 dargre

dargre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 01:21 AM

Because self-advertisement is not well seen on this forum.

Because my mod has requirements that so many do not understand,

Whatever, my mod is working on about 10 AVS clients websites flawlessly and I guarantee it if of only clients server's meets mod's requirements. Indeed FLV conversion to h264/mp4 s much more stable (usually 100%) when converting using ffmpeg command.

Unfortunately AVS team and possibly others install very old version of ffmpeg. Such version of ffmpeg doesn't allow to watermark video or control video rotation in reliable way. Conversion still is possible but I'm not going to write new limited script for old versions of ffmpeg.

My mod doesn't use mencoder, doesn't even use mplayer but use ffmpeg version minimum 2.6.  Installation of mplayer/mencoder is not required.

Mods, custom code by NuevoLab (Search Suggest, Multiple image upload, Seo mods,and much more)

#5 brianatthebeach

brianatthebeach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 02:31 AM

I have a lot of your mods but since you knew I was unaware you could have PM me or it was well in this case to point it out for me to choose LOL. I would hope no one would consider it it self advertising since I was asking specifically for this functionality.  Can I tell by version ffmpeg -v in my shell?  That command gives me something that does not appear to meet the requirements.  

FFmpeg version 0.6.5, Copyright © 2000-2010 the FFmpeg developers

built on Jan 29 2012 17:52:15 with gcc 4.4.5 20110214 (Red Hat 4.4.5-6)

configuration: --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64 --shlibdir=/usr/lib64 --mandir=/usr/share/man --incdir=/usr/include --disable-avisynth --extra-cflags='-O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m64 -mtune=generic -fPIC' --enable-avfilter --enable-avfilter-lavf --enable-libdc1394 --enable-libdirac --enable-libfaac --enable-libfaad --enable-libfaadbin --enable-libgsm --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-librtmp --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libspeex --enable-libtheora --enable-libx264 --enable-gpl --enable-nonfree --enable-postproc --enable-pthreads --enable-shared --enable-swscale --enable-vdpau --enable-version3 --enable-x11grab

libavutil     50.15. 1 / 50.15. 1

libavcodec    52.72. 2 / 52.72. 2

libavformat   52.64. 2 / 52.64. 2

libavdevice   52. 2. 0 / 52. 2. 0

libavfilter    1.19. 0 /  1.19. 0

libswscale     0.11. 0 /  0.11. 0

libpostproc   51. 2. 0 / 51. 2. 0

ffmpeg: missing argument for option 'v'

I understand the need to get on the server, update ffmpeg and add libs etc, I would definitely have to update.  I can look at your tutorial on updating ffmeg to see if it is something I can do in advance.

Brian

#6 dargre

dargre

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 11:50 PM

Your version of ffmpeg is very old (v. 0.6   2012). It was updated dozens times since then and latest stable version is 3.1, built August 2016.

Unfortunately this is what many services install as it's easy. Many older servers repositories use such old version of ffmpeg.

My conversion mod requires minimum ffmpeg version 2.6. It doesn't require to install mplayer/mencoder.

Since version 2.6 many ffmpeg commands and parameters has changed, lot of new options appeared.

With old ffmpeg there's no reliable option to watermark video or fix bad rotation for videos uploaded via mobile device. Old ffmpeg is also not that stable as newer one when talking about video conversion.

Unfrotunately compiling new ffmpeg on old servers can be real pain. One time even myself I had to give up.

Basically it's possible to replace mencoder commands by ffmpeg commands for old ffmpeg too. Of course such ffmpeg version cannot watermark video. Unfortunately I am not going to invest my time in writing code for such old ffmpeg. This would be limited version of the mod, not that stable as newer ffmpeg, not enough interest to be worth bothering. 

Edited by dargre, 22 August 2016 - 01:22 PM.