• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 brianatthebeach

brianatthebeach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:13 AM

Is anyone interested in working on a script mod to use your domain to relay anonymized messages between your avs site users, like craigslist does? Is that even practical?Users may still have to whitelist domains and take other actions but I think it would be useful short of having some kind of push notifications like a phone app would have.  

I have improved the messaging on avs a tiny bit by including messages in the email message notifications.  

Can we

1 insert a return address with a unique code that then connects via script to the db so that it knows where to direct the return message

2  have the script sends out it's normal message notification

#1 may not be simple as it may require APIs and a lot of work, but maybe not, IDK.

The db is essentially the go between that anonymizes the messaging.  For a moderate traffic site that should not be too burdensome to the DB.  AVS already is doing this but only when logged in, you are reading the DB but surely it can be enhanced by adding the email component?

What about push notifications?  I see there are services where you can add push notifications to a website but those may be costly or not allow adult sites.  Need a low cost or free service that allows adult.

I have added some communication tools to my site recently and found that my users really are anxious to communicate with one another and want a better communication experience.  I'm thinking there must be ways to at least simulate what social networks are capable of doing.

Brian

#2 brianatthebeach

brianatthebeach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 01:26 PM

I was thinking if I create a catchall server email account then a sender or receiver's email can be anything like

senderUsername@yourdomain.com or receiverUsername@yourdomain.com  then a script can run to parse the emails in the account get email, subject and body, connect to the signup table to find the receiver's real email.  Then the email can be forwarded with the reply-to as the sender's email.  If anyone has ideas on the hard part, which is to parse emails in the catchall email account please contribute.  I will be looking into how to do that, in the meantime.

Brian

ps So far this looks doable, here's where I'm at: if you create a mail account catchall@yourdomain.com then set default forwards for the domain, to catchall@yourdomain.com you can catch all the user emails. user1@yourdomain.com, user2@yourdomain.com etc will all go to the catchall

with a script you can connect to your catchall IMAP inbox and read each email that has been received user1@yourdomain.com, user2@yourdomain.com etc.  Grab the username from the recipient email userN@yourdomain.com and forward the email if you find the user and a valid email in the avs db.  You bounce the email if you don't find an active user with a valid email address.

Right now I have everything working but I'm still tweaking and debugging the script that connects users and avs db.

Only thing the script needs is how to handle small attachments like jpgs and how to handle multiple recipients CC and BCC.

Edited by brianatthebeach, 17 August 2017 - 11:04 PM.